Five Reasons to Join the Pennsylvania Poetry Society (or at least check out what they’re doing).
I have been a member of the Pennsylvania Poetry Society for three years, but only recently attended a spring meeting. This was such a fun experience, it prompted me to write this post, with 5 reasons to join PPS, Inc.
- The Pennsylvania Poetry Society holds two meetings each year with workshops for developing your inner poet. These workshops provide time to talk with other poets, share work, and work with poets from throughout the state. The most recent workshop featured Dana Sauers.
- Meeting people who are also interested in reading and writing poetry. From their twitter page: “Founded in 1949, the PPS assists its members in the development of their craft and fosters an intelligent appreciation of poetry.”
- The PPS also runs an annual contest with 17 categories. Members have the opportunity to enter 3 of those 17 that non-members cannot. The winning poems are published each year.
- Joining this group allows can give you notice about many other contests, which they share on Facebook and Twitter.
- Joining this group will help you if you’re trying to work on your own writing. Each newsletter (produced four times a year) provides a challenge for writing poetry, and there’s also an online publication each month, called Pennessence. There are plenty of opportunities to challenge yourself and publish your writing.