I’m always on the lookout for new poets to read (see my recent lit crush on Amit Majmudar in a recent post). So when a student brought poems by Warsan Shire to class and read one aloud, I was immediately riveted for many reasons. Here are 5 reasons why you should also check her poetry out:
- Students love her. The fact that a student brought her to my attention is significant, and she speaks to students in a way older poets do not. (Go here for a poem entitled: “For Women Who Are Difficult to Love“)
- She has received the Brunel University‘s African Poetry Prize, chosen from a shortlist of six candidates out of a total 655 entries.
- Shire was the first Young Poet Laureate for London.
- She’s accessible, and you can even hear her read her poems online.
- Beyonce sampled Shire in her recent work Lemonade. (She’s hip, she’s current, so even if I’m not, I can name a poet who is!)
Image below from The New Yorker article in 2015.