Here’s a list of 5 authors you should definitely have on your classroom bookshelf if you teach teenagers. You would also probably enjoy the stories as an adult, too. These authors deal with important issues for teens, and while the content is mature, these authors create characters who work through struggles with grace, poise, and humor.
- Andrew Smith–author of Winger, Grasshopper Jungle, and 100 Sideways Miles as well as the Marbury Lens & Passenger.
- A.S. King–author of Everybody Sees the Ants and Please Ignore Vera Dietz.
- Matthew Quick–author of Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock; Boy 21, and Sorta like a Rockstar.
- Bill Konigsberg–author of Openly Straight and Out of the Pocket.
- David Levithan–author of Two Boys Kissing, Every Day, and Boy Meets Boy.